05 November 2013

Ghosts of American Dreams


While I was in Nancy, I visited the park just off Place Stanislas and found this stretch of carnival rides. Later that day I'd come across the circus in a parking lot like a dormant volcano, waiting for the circus enthusiasts to arrive.

At first, just the site of an empty carnival was enough to perk up my ears. But then I took a closer look at the decor...and realized that every ride had been painted with Disney characters.
But it was this ride that sealed the deal - talk about Americana. At times it can be disorienting to see such enthusiasm for all things American. I go to a French university, but on our "American" campus some aspects of student life remind me of an attempt at university based entirely on movies. The number of aspiring cheerleaders on campus comes to mind...


Because the flora and fauna of Pride Rock is the same as Southern California. But enough of the snark - I'm sure the kids who enjoy this place don't give a second thought to the colorful pictures and their implications of copyright infringement or soft power or global homogenization.

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment